Help the Convent
Our Lady of Kazan convent in the town of Danilov was founded by Mikhaila, a nun of Our Lady of Kazan convent in the city of Jaroslavl in a borough called Goroushka on the 9th (22nd) of July, 1894. The convent existed for 33 years only but it had played a prominent part in the spiritual life of the town.
The would-be abbess, Mikhaila, when aged 38, went to Jerusalem and from 1880 up to 1893 sponsored the building and decoration of monasteries, convents and churches in the Holy Land. That inspired her to found a convent in Russia.
In 1893, Paraskeva Kozlova became a novice in Our Lady of Kazan convent in the city of Jaroslavl where she soon was made a nun under the name of Mikhaila. In 1894, St. Righteous John of Kronstadt blessed Mikhaila to found a congregation in honour of Our Lady of Kazan in the place called Goroushka in the suburbs of Danilov.
In a short while with the help of the town-dwellers and the benefactors they put up 20 convent buildings including a small wooden church in honour of Our Lady of Kazan, a dortour with 16 cells, a bath-house, and the barns. They also erected a white brick belfrey and a 3-meter high wall. By the year 1900 in the congregation there lived 5 nuns, 66 novices, in all about 80 people.
Our Lady of Kazan women congregation in Danilov was converted into a convent by Tzar Nicolas II ukase on the 6th (the 19th) of February, 1901. Nun Mikhaila was made the abbess by Archbishop Jonathan. In the same year, in summer 1901, St. Righteous John of Kronstadt blessed to lay the foundation of Our Lady of Kazan cathedral (which was designed by a famous St. Petersburg architect V.A. Kosiakov).
The founder and the first abbess of the convent Mikhaila died aged 67 because of a heart disease on the 22nd of September (the 5th of October), 1909. She was buried by Tikhon, Archbishop of Jaroslavl and Rostov, in front of the cathedral.
In the same year they appointed a new abbess - nun Joan. She came from a noble St. Petersburg family and had formely been the abbess of St. Trinity Theodore convent. In 1910-1911 there were put up new brick convent buildings including an icon workshop, cells and barns.
The construction of the cathedral, however, was delayed despite the fact that abbess Joan spared no effort in trying to maintain the construction works. In 1912, abbess Joan died and was buried in front of Our Lady of Kazan church.
In the same year, after they had appointed a new abbess, nun Mary from St. Petersburg, a special committee was organized to raise funds for the construction works in the cathedral. By 1913, there lived 3 nuns and 77 novices in the convent. They had their own ploughland, meadows and woods. In 1915-1918, under Agaphangel, Archbishop of Jaroslavl and Rostov, Our Lady of Kazan cathedral was completed.
On the 28th of August (the 16th of September), 1918, the day of Our Lady Assumption, Tihkon, Patriarch of All Russia, together with Archbishop Agaphangel opened the cathedral in presence of flocks of people.
By the time, however, a lot had changed in the country. In winter 1927, all the convent buildings, woods, ploughland and gardens were taken away by the godless authorities. In 1931, they organised a collective farm 'Red Goroushka' on the territory of the convent.
In 1960s, the cathedral was abandoned, robbed, and eventually brought to ruin. In 1980, its domes were set a fire to.
In 1988, Our Lady of Kazan cathedral was admitted the property of the Orthodox Church. In 1992, Plato, Archbishop of Jaroslavl and Rostov, blessed to create a parish in the cathedral.